Toomey is a not-for-profit organization providing community-based clinical treatment services and programs for children, adolescents, adults and their families in the Central New York region.
Basic Function/Purpose: The Direct Support Professional provides supervision and support to individuals living in a group home setting by offering guidance in the development of safe relationships, emotion management, loss, and planning for a successful future.
1. Assist individuals in participating in daily and weekly activities such as shopping, exercising, hobbies, volunteering, activities of daily living, and other desired activities as defined by the individual.
2. Assist in maintaining house operations including meal planning and preparation.
3. Provide basic first aid, and administers medication as prescribed and pursuant to agency policies.
4. Serve as a positive liaison to schools, parents, and others who have a relationship to those served.
5. Provide transportation to activities and outings for individuals receiving services.
6. Promote and ensure a safe and positive environment for individuals receiving services to include, identifying risk and safety issues, and completing reporting requirements to appropriate person(s).
7. Initiate and complete required paperwork paper work in a timely manner.
8. Adhere to the philosophy of Toomey Residential and practice behaviors consistent with the seven principles of the Sanctuary Model of Trauma Informed Care which include a commitment to nonviolence, emotional Intelligence, social learning, open communication, democracy, social responsibility and growth and change.
9. Participate in and utilize Sanctuary Model tools such as community meetings, red flag reviews, and safety plans.
10. Learn and practice the S.E.L.F. (Safety, Emotions, Loss and Future) framework in their daily interactions with residents, coworkers and other ABH staff.
11. Maintain guidelines and policies as established by the funding sources and Toomey Residential and Community Services.
12. Represent the agency in a positive and professional manner.
Toomey employs the Total Rewards approach to pay and benefits which includes:
• Competitive, Family Friendly Health and Wellness Benefits • Recognition and Appreciation Programs • Learning Opportunities • Work-Life Benefits
Toomey is committed to providing a compensation program that is commensurate with internal and external job markets and nature of the job, consistent with our Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity & Inclusion policies, and designed to attract the most skilled and qualified candidates.
Education and/or Experience Required at Entry: High School Diploma or GED required; associates or bachelor degree with relevant experience preferred.
Licenses/Certificate/Clearances: A valid NYS driver’s license with reliable transportation to and from the worksite, NYS Central Registry Clearance, NYS Justice Center Fingerprinting and background check.
This is a Full Time position; days/hours vary.
If you are interested in applying for this position you MUST go to our website www.toomeyresidential.org to apply before you can be considered.