Toomey Residential and Community Services provides an array of supports and services for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities designed to empower the individual to increase their independence, learn new skills and participate in the community.
Basic Function/Purpose: The Direct Support Professional empowers and assists individuals with developmental disabilities to lead self-directed lives and participate fully in the community. Direct Support Professionals work with people to achieve their greatest potential in each of their chosen goals.
1. Work one on one using a person centered approach to provide the highest quality services based on each person's strengths and needs.
2. Assist individuals in participating in daily and weekly activities such as shopping, exercising, hobbies and other desired activities as defined by the individual.
3. Provide support improving independent living skills, maintaining a home, assistance with medical appointments, being involved in the Community as well as pursing volunteer recreational and opportunities.
4. Provide transportation to activities and outings for individuals receiving services.
5. Promote and ensure a safe and positive environment for individuals receiving services to include, identifying risk and safety issues.
6. Initiate and complete required paperwork in a timely manner.
7. Adhere to the philosophy of Toomey Residential and practice behaviors consistent with the National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP) Core Competencies, which include; putting individuals first, building and maintaining positive relationships, demonstrating professionalism, supporting good health, safety, supporting the individual to live in the home of their choice and being active and productive in their community.
8. Maintain guidelines and policies as established by the funding sources and Toomey Residential and Community Services.
9. Represent the agency in a positive and professional manner.
We currently have 2 part time and 1 full time positions open; hours vary.
Education and/or Experience Required at Entry: High School Diploma or GED required; Associated in Human Services preferred. Experience working with individuals with disabilities; at least one year.
Licenses/Certificate/Clearances: A valid NYS driver's licence with reliable transportation to and from the work-site/community. NYS Central Registry Clearance, NYS Justice Center Fingerprinting and background check.
If you are interested in applying for this position you MUST apply on our website at www.toomeyresidential.org
We look forward to working with you!